• Have established, managed, and compiled the Clarion Christmas Bird Count for 26 years.
• Partnered with PA Audubon through Sarah Sargent to purchase a HARDI herbicide sprayer for grassland management at SGL 330.
• Held our First Annual Native Plant Sale in cooperation with C&A Trees in 2011.
• Established the Margaret Buckwalter Birdsong Learning Center at the Clarion Free Library.
• Member Gary Edwards was awarded the Earl Poole Award by the Pennsylvania Society for Ornithology in 2011.
• Held a Grasslands Conference in 2009, inviting experts to advise on management of SGL 300.
• Instrumental in the establishment of PA State Game Lands 300, breeding grounds of the Henslow's Sparrow.
• Hosted the PSO annual meeting in Clarion in 2005.
• Winner of Pennsylvania Society for Ornithology (PSO) first Conservation Award in 2005
• SRAS member, Margaret Buckwalter, won the PSO Earl Poole Award in 2005.
• SRAS supports the American Chestnut Foundation, Forest Landowners Association, Alliance for Wetland and Wildlife, Mill Creek Coalition, and Federation of Sportsmen
• Four SRAS members served as Pennsylvania Breeding Bird Atlas Regional Coordinators for recent Atlas project.
• National Birdathon FIRST PLACE for chapters of our size in 2003!
• National Birdathon second place for chapters of our size: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002.
• Adopted 3 Important Bird Areas in the International Stewardship Program.
• Provide Audubon Adventures, a wildlife and habitat curriculum, to area classrooms.
• Give annual financial support to Audubon Pennsylvania.
• Sponsor a field ecology scholarship to a national Audubon camp.
• Maintain Bluebird and Wood Duck nest boxes at Beaver Creek Project.
• Contribute time and expertise to schools and community events.
• Participate in bird surveys and environmental coalitions.
• Pennsylvania non-profit incorporation and 501-C3 designation.
Gary Edwards (left) accepting Earl Poole Award from PSO vice-president John Fedak 5/21/11 - Photo by Ron Montgomery
Dan Brauning & Gary Edwards at the dedication of the Important Bird Area at Piney Tract - Photo by John Street.
Scenes from our Chapter's 20th Anniversary Celebration at Timberwolfe Lodge - photos by Deb Freed